Monday, February 15, 2010

2 years ago today




Ellie on 2/16/2008






Ellie at Christmas 2009



2 years ago today, on February 16th, 2008, I found my heart cat, Ellie. It was a cool Saturday morning and Wraggs and I were off on our morning 2 mile walk. We were just over 1/2 a mile into it when we came upon a little calico on the sidewalk. I stopped to say hello to her and then walked on. But not for long. I made it about 10 feet before I turned around and ran home to get a carrier, a towel, gloves and threw them into my jeep and tore back up there. I wasn't sure she would be there. I figured if she was there, then she was meant to be with me. SHE WAS THERE!!!! I stuffed her into the carrier (she was VERY angry at me) and took her home and called Dr. Morgan's office to see if we could get in that day. They worked me in so I was up there early (I am always early for things) and they tested her. I was pacing back and forth, worried that she would be positive for awful kitty diseases and I would lose her before I even got to know her. When they walked in and said she was all clean I was so relieved. Dr. Morgan asked me what I was going to do with her. I gave her a look and said 'keep her'. I swear Dr. Morgan smiled (she is a wonderful vet). She gave her some shots, gave me antibiotics to give her and sent us on our way home.


I've never had to deal with a feral cat before. I was moving into a new arena for me. I went to my sources for help: the AOL cat message board and SOMC. The folks on the AOL board gave me lots of info, which I am so thankful for. And I was new to SOMC and was sharing my experience with them. The second day into our journey, Ellie nailed my on my lip with a good old scratch. Did you know that lips bleed? A lot? They do..trust me. Ellie came into heat soon after she came into my house so I had her spayed before anything bad could happen. She had already been a mom, it was obvious when I picked her up that she had been nursing sometime in the recent past (there were no kittens with her so I have no idea what happened to them). She was spayed so there would never be a question of her having to be a mom again.





Ellie, you may wonder, why the name Ellie. When I picked her up on the street she was hissing and angry....I felt like she was channeling my Mom (who passed in 2006) so I figured she should have Mom's name, or one of them (mom had many names). I think Mom would have gotten a kick out of it really.



Anyway, after 2 months of Ellie being in my guest bathroom and me sitting on the floor talking to her, scratching her with the back scratcher, I moved her to my office for a bit more room. So at the end of March I moved Ellie to my office. At the beginning of April I was finally able to hold her!!! I've never felt such joy before.




Now, 2 years later, Ellie sleeps with me at night, cuddled up next to me. She no longer is 4.5 pounds but is now a hefty 16 pounds. She was an adult when I found her, a very tiny adult who was quite sick. Now, of course, she gets good food, a safe house, lots of love...what more could a girl kitty ask for (except for a heathenless house but that is not happening!!!)


Happy anniversary Ellie, so glad you are my heart kitty


Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment