Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wraggs - Renal Failure


Wraggs has been 'off' for a few weeks. She just stopped eating her dog treats and she LIVES for dog treats. She has also been throwing up a bit, drinking a lot of water....just things out of the ordinary. So I made an appointment with my vet. My usual vet is out of the country on a vacation so we saw the replacement vet (the same vet who last year helped Bob cross over.....). Off we go to the vet.


I thought it was going to be hell getting Wraggs into and out of my jeep. She isn't a young dog and not very athletic and jumping up in there can be difficult. She really had no problem. We visited with the Vet. Wraggs got weighed, they took her vitals (temperature taken thru the back end, she was not happy!) The Vet and the techs kept saying what a good dog she is, such curly hair and a great disposition. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong so she (the Vet) suggested that Wraggs needed blood work. I kind of figured that would be the case so I agreed. They wanted to check her kidney function and her thyroid.


I got the call later that afternoon from the Vet. Renal failure. Wraggs has about 25% function of her kidneys. She has to eat special food and she also gets a supplement. And of course, none of this is inexpensive. Yes, unemployed and a dog that has to have expensive food!


Now a week into this, Wraggs will eat the wet food, she turns her nose up at the dry (glad I got the small bag and not the big bag!). If I have the audacity of putting kibble in with the wet, she will walk away completely. She gets one Pepcid a day. It isn't hard to give it to her. She will open her mouth to let me put it down her throat. And of course there is love after that for her. I hugged her tight this morning.


I know I won't have her next year. I'm not sure if I will have her at the end of the summer. I won't let her suffer. For now she is happy, she eats the wet food and an occasional crunchy dog treat. She enjoys her walks, they are short but she likes them. She has her cats to keep her company and of course me.


Wraggs is a great dog, I could not ask for a better companion. She has had some great folks in her life: Dad, Mom. My sister (who really babied Wraggs too when she was at home with my folks). I know my sister is as worried and upset as I am. It is harder for her in a way, not being here to spend time with Wraggs. She knows that I am good to Wraggs, that this is a good life for her.


Anyway, I am going to cherish every day I have with Wraggs. She is a good dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment